weird button problem

Thread: weird button problem

Default weird button problem

I've got a button that is added dynamically to my page instead of in the html view. In my InitializeComponent, I create the button and add it's event handler to the page. Then, later I create a table object and add this button to one of the cells. What is strange is in my page_load method, if I do not do a check for !IsPostBack, then the event handler will fire just fine. However, if I do any type of check to see if !IsPostBack, then it never reaches the event handler. I'm mystified as to why. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Default Where do you wire up...

...the event handler???<BR><BR>If you do it in the code that isn&#039;t reached on a post back, then of course it&#039;s not there.<BR><BR>Remember, *EACH INSTANCE* of an .aspx page is a SEPARATE ENTITY.<BR><BR>So if you wire up the button on the first page but then don&#039;t do so on the post back, the HTML that the web server sends back to the browser won&#039;t include the JS needed to handle that event.<BR><BR>To see the difference, try this:<BR>-- bring up the page in a new browser (so it&#039;s not a postback)<BR>-- click on the VIEW menu, the SOURCE menu item, see the HTML in notepad<BR>-- do something that posts that page (so it *IS* a postback)<BR>-- click on the VIEW menu, the SOURCE menu item, see the HTML in notepad<BR><BR>Compare the two different sets of HTML (with JS embedded, of course). Look at your button. See the differences between them?<BR><BR>************<BR><BR>This is mostly guess on my part, since your details were sparse.<BR><BR>But when in doubt, go look at the HTML being generated to see what&#039;s going on.<BR><BR>