Please Wait splash does not appear

Thread: Please Wait splash does not appear

Default Please Wait splash does not appear

I am calling a please wait function at the beginning of a function and then hidding it at the end of a function. The problem is I when I put in alerts after showPleaseWait(); and before hidePleaseWait(); the splash works as expected but when I remove the alerts the splash never appears. I remember reading once formating changes don&#039;t take place until the end of the function. I thought dividing into multiple functions might help or calling the functions that affect the format with a setTimeout might help, but so far no luck. Anyone have any ideas?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Deb<BR><BR>function rsSortWrite() {<BR> showPleaseWait();<BR><BR> //Some Processing<BR><BR> hidePleaseWait();<BR>}<BR><BR><BR><BR>function hidePleaseWait() {<BR> if (ns4) {<BR> document.getElementById("splashScreen").style.visi bility = "hide";<BR> }<BR> if (ie4 &#124&#124 upLevel) {<BR> document.getElementById("splashScreen").style.visi bility = "hidden";<BR> }<BR>}<BR>function showPleaseWait() {<BR> document.getElementById("splashScreen").style.visi bility = &#039;visible&#039;;<BR>}

Default The problem is...

...that so long as your funtion is doing "work", it is eating up ALL the CPU time allocated to the browser, so the poor graphics engine in the browser never gets a chance to "do it&#039;s thing".<BR><BR>You have to "stop" your function long enough to give the graphics engine a chance to run.<BR><BR>SO...<BR><BR>function rsSortWrite() <BR>{<BR> showPleaseWait();<BR> setTimeout("rsSortWritePhaseTwo()", 10)<BR>}<BR>function rsSortWritePhaseTwo() <BR>{<BR> //Some Processing<BR> hidePleaseWait();<BR>}<BR><BR><BR>Try that.<BR><BR>