Invalid character for string

Thread: Invalid character for string

Default Invalid character for string

Having nightmares with the following error:<BR>Microsoft VBScript compilation error &#039 800a0408&#039 <BR><BR>Invalid character <BR><BR>/test.asp, line 8 <BR><BR>strApple=”delicious”<BR>---------^<BR><BR><BR>The script is simply:<BR> <BR> &#060;%<BR> dim strApple<BR><BR> strApple=”delicious”<BR> response.write strApple<BR><BR> %&#062;<BR><BR>&#060;/BODY&#062;<BR>&#060;/HTML&#062;<BR><BR>It seems to be having problems parsing a string, getting confused about " characters. Has anyone else come across a similar problem and know how to solve it?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!

Dr.EvilBeer Guest

Default RE: Invalid character for string

"strApple=" is not a valid variable name. I&#039m guessing you were trying to do..<BR><BR>strApple = "delicious"<BR><BR>response.write (strApple)<BR><BR>If this is not the case please disregard.

Default RE: Invalid character for string: SOLUTION!!!

The editor I&#039m using (ASP Express v 1.3.2) inadvertantly inserts quote characters that are not the standard ASCII chr(34) quote, but &#039Open Quote&#039 and &#039Close Quote&#039 which are characters elsewhere in the font. By using another editor (e.g. WordPad), I can type a quote, copy and paste it to my .asp document, and it works correctly.<BR><BR>I would be interested if anyone else has come across this problem.