Open as Text Stream Permision Error

Thread: Open as Text Stream Permision Error

Default Open as Text Stream Permision Error

I&#039m using the Open as Text Stream method on my site.<BR>When I read from a file it works fine, but when I try to write to a file I receive this error:<BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime error &#039 800a0046&#039 <BR>Permission denied<BR><BR>What Permissions does my web hosting company need to give me?<BR>They have already tried directory permission. <BR>Does a username and password need to be included in my code?<BR>(I haven&#039t found anything concerning the second one but I figure I would ask just is case.)<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

Olav Guest

Default RE: Open as Text Stream Permision Error

I&#039ve had the same problem some time ago.<BR><BR>Your ISP has to grant write-permissions (or change-permissions if you&#039re just changing the same files over and over again and not creating any new ones) to the Internet Guest Account (standard NT account for all website-visitors) on a specific directory or file. This should work OK, but the downside of this is that a smart hacker could write to that directory as well and mess up your site.<BR><BR>So a better solution would be to ask your ISP to create an NT-account especially for you and grant writing-permissions to that account only. Then you&#039d just log on using the standard NT pop-up loginbox and execute the ASP-page. But onfortunately, not many ISP&#039s are willing to do that.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>greetings<BR><BR>Olav<BR>olavl@bigfo<BR>(The Netherlands)

Default RE: Open as Text Stream Permision Error - thanks

Thank you Olav,<BR>That helped. We knew about the first, but like you said, it left us open. <BR>The second option will work perfect though. I went ahead and passed the information to my ISP. And I have a nice ISP that pretty much gives me free reign.