Alpha Numeric Model Numbers

Thread: Alpha Numeric Model Numbers

Default Alpha Numeric Model Numbers

I have a column that I need to be Alpha Numeric, I dont think I can use varchar for the datatype....<BR><BR>because right now it is varchar.<BR><BR>And I can enter a number like 43278 for a Stock number for a vehicle. But, some of my dealers use Alpha-Numeric Stock Numbers like: E154<BR><BR>For some reason it will not let me put that into the database, into a varchar column, heres the error:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80040e14&#039; <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name &#039;E154&#039;. <BR><BR>/controlpanel/cp.asp, line 112<BR><BR>there still are a FEW things I dont know yet :)

Default RE: Alpha Numeric Model Numbers

that&#039;ll be because you haven&#039;t put single quotes around the value you&#039;re trying to insert.

Default I'm sure Atrax is right, but...

...but once again, when you ask a question like this you need to give us MORE INFORMATION. Specifically, enough so that we *CAN* analyze the problem.<BR><BR>For a SQL error, that means you need to AT A MINIMUM do a <BR> Response.Write "DEBUG: SQL is " & SQLthatYouUse & "&#060;HR&#062;"<BR><BR>Beyond that, you should probably copy/paste the 20 or so lines of your ASP page that lead up to the line with the error. <BR><BR>You did copy/paste the entire error message. Good. But you should also indicated which line in the page listing is the line that causes the error.<BR><BR>Okay?<BR><BR>Next time?<BR><BR>