IIS Permissions Problem

Thread: IIS Permissions Problem

Default IIS Permissions Problem

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039m having a problem getting ASP to work properly with my MS Access database and IIS 4.0. Everything is running on WinNT and here&#039s my problem. I need to be able to add, delete and update records in the database so I need a certain set of permissions for the directory that contains my database. At the same time, I don&#039t want to give too much access to outside users who might be able to download the database by typing in the correct path. Can anyone help? Right now, I&#039m getting the error "Object must use an updateable query". This is, however, just because of the permissions. I just need to know what I should set everything to in order to get this working.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Dave

Default RE: IIS Permissions Problem

You can create DSN and call the database that way ? so user will not know where is the database. e.g. <BR><BR><BR>Set con = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>con.Ope n "your_DSN" &#039system data sn<BR><BR>set rsList=server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>< BR>There are lot of code on this site somewhere.<BR><BR>Happy programming

Thanks farhan,<BR><BR>I&#039ve already got the DSN set up that way, but there&#039s always the potential that the user could somehow type in http://www.hostname.com/directory/directory/dbase.mdb or something along those lines and download it directly. I guess at the moment I&#039m more concerned with getting the permissions set properly so that full control (or anything close to it) isn&#039t granted to outside users, but the database can still be updated and added to by them. Any other ideas on WinNT permissions that might solve this?!!<BR><BR>-Dave

e Guest

I don&#039t think this can be done with access.<BR>IUSR (the webuser acct) needs change perms inorder <BR>to change the DB in Access. You could consider using <BR>SQL instead which is much more capable in terms of security<BR>and could accomplish what you want to achieve.

Just put the database somewhere on the server that is not under your site. Like I have a directory on the server like c:web_databases. I put all the databases in that folder. Point the DSN to that folder and give IUSR_MACHINE full access to it (or change access) That way, the database can be updated, but there is no way to navigate to it/download it thru a browser.<BR><BR>Hope I helprd.

hmm , but you can put the database in directory which is not shared by web or shared in anyways ? <BR>My intranet server is partioned C:(for operating system, IIS) D:(for Main Intranet data files) E:(Files i don&#039t want user to see)<BR><BR>If you don&#039t have your intranet server setup like that then save it in separate folder like c:database