Thread: ASP to JSP

Default ASP to JSP

Hello<BR><BR>I have a small 30 page site that uses ASP. I wanted to convert the server language to JSP to sit on another server that only supports JSP.<BR><BR>How difficult would it be to change over? I am pretty good with the ASP, so I am assuming that the JSP is similar, just different syntax. Is this correct?<BR><BR>Any comments or links on information regarding converting are appreciated.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR>Don

Default Depends...

...on how heavily you rely on some of the neat features of VBScript. Things like the ease of working with CDate() and Month() and Year(), etc. <BR><BR>And of course JSP pages use *real* Java, not screwy little JavaScript, so now you get to use *proper* declarations of data types. (Converting from VB.NET or, especially, C#.NET to Java would be much easier than starting from VBScript. But even then many many differences in the built-in classes, etc.)<BR><BR>SQL is going to be the same, of course. But recordsets will be a lot different. You&#039;ll have to know the data type of the field in the DB so that you can pull the value into the appropriate matching Java type in JSP.<BR><BR>Summary: Yeah, the program flow is going to be essentially the same. But it&#039;s not just syntax that is different; it&#039;s also some pretty healthy language and framework semantics. If you&#039;ve ever programmed in Java, it will be easy. If you&#039;ve programmed in C++ or C#, then not hard. If you&#039;ve used VB.NET, then one step harder but still reasonable. But if none of those, you have a steep learning curve ahead of you.<BR><BR><BR>