Using frames

Thread: Using frames

Default Using frames

Many websites have a menu down the left side of the screen and a header across the top. The menu and the header are typically the same for every page of the website.<BR><BR>Thus, why don&#039;t more sites use frames so that one doesn&#039;t have to keep downloading the common parts of the pages?<BR><BR>Surely browser support for frames is comprehensive enough now?<BR><BR>I.

Default I dislike them.

First, I think it gives the user a disconnected experience in browsing the site. I generally use my navigation portion to reflect the current page.<BR><BR>Second, I&#039;m a (fairly) advanced web user and dislike them for that reason. I can imagine my grandmother trying to get accustomed to them.<BR><BR>Third, they are difficult to design for.<BR><BR>All in all, I avoid using frames unless absolutely neccessary.

Default In my humble opinion, frames have...

...several disadvantages. These are (in no particular order):<BR><BR>1. Printing off a page with forms isn&#039;t always very usable.<BR>2. Linking to a specific page from another website isn&#039;t straightforward, unless the page checks every time that the other frames are there.<BR>3. Search engines still don&#039;t like frames much. Some of them still can&#039;t deal with them.<BR>4. Creating and maintaining a site with frames can get convoluted.<BR>5. Add a standard menu and bar across the top (or bottom) is so simple in ASP, or using SSI, that I don&#039;t see why I should have to mess around with frames.<BR><BR>I hope this gives you a good idea.<BR><BR>Oliver.