Upload XL template then import into SQL with DTS

Thread: Upload XL template then import into SQL with DTS

Default Upload XL template then import into SQL with DTS

Hi I'm trying to figure something out here and haven't come up with a solution that works. I've got a web page where a user will go and upload an Excel file (persists upload). That file gets placed on the webserver and then I want to import that data in using a sql DTS package. I can get the template uploaded just fine. I control what the template looks like and it will always be the same format. I'm having to rename these templates using randomly generated text/numbers so that I don't get two uploads that have the same name and/or at the same time. The problem that I am having is having this DTS package accept whatever name I give the file. I can write a DTS package that looks to a certain path and file name to import a file but I haven't figured out how to do this by somehow passing in a variable - in this case the file name. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default RE: Upload XL template then import into SQL with D

This might help,<BR>I had a budget system that created and sent out XL Workbooks to various employees with account codes selected for each User&#039;s responsibility. The Workbooks got returned and were placed into a designated folder.<BR><BR>Then I used VBA code loops to find each file "*.xls" in the folder and runs the import code:<BR><BR>gstrABMDir = "designated folder"<BR> stFile = Dir(gstrABMDir & "*.xls")<BR> Do While stFile &#060;&#062; ""<BR> "Test to ensure Workbook is correct format"<BR> "Import Code"<BR> stFile = Dir<BR> Loop<BR><BR>After the import you can either kill the file or move it to a different folder or add its name to a table and use this to check so you don&#039;t re-import it.<BR><BR>