PICTURES (OLE OBJECTS IN ACCESS) HOW DO I RETRIEVE IN ASP

Thread: PICTURES (OLE OBJECTS IN ACCESS) HOW DO I RETRIEVE IN ASP

MARLIN Guest

Default PICTURES (OLE OBJECTS IN ACCESS) HOW DO I RETRIEVE IN ASP

USEING BOUND OLE PICTURES IN ACCESS (BY THE WAY I CAN ONLY &#039IMPORT&#039 INTO BOUND FIELD BY LINKING VS EMBEDDING - WHEN EMBED ONLY GET NAME AND GENERIC GIF OR JPEG DIAGRAM - OH WELL)<BR>THEY SHOW IN FORM FIELD IN ACCESS BY WHEN TRY TO RETRIEVE<BR>WITH THE OLE &#060;%WHILE NOT _.OEF RESPONSE.WRITE objRec ("fieldname") objRec.MoveNext Wend %&#062; Routine get error - somethig like object not supported -PLease - What is the proper nomemclature for accessing linked ole object in access db<BR>THANK YOU!!

Pipey Guest

Default RE: PICTURES (OLE OBJECTS IN ACCESS) HOW DO I RETRIEVE IN ASP

You need to use the Response.BinaryWrite method for fields containing binary data (like images). Your problems don&#039t stop there, however. If you want to actually display the image in an active server page you can&#039t just write the data out into an HTML document. You&#039ll need to change the content type of the document by using a Response.Clear and a Response.ContentType="image/gif" (or whatever image type you&#039re using). OLE objects stored in Access also have additional header info which tend to mess up the output. You would probably find it much easier just to store the filename of the image and reference the actual image files (rather than trying to recreate them from OLE objects). Microsoft recommend this method, and it&#039s certainly easier.<BR>

MARLIN Guest

THANKS, DIDN&#039T THINK IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY.<BR>APPRECIATE THE REPLY - VERY MUCH<BR>MARLIN

Well, what is the additional header that messes things up, and how do you get around it? I&#039ve tried changing the http header and using binarywrite, but it still doesn&#039t work correctly.<BR><BR>Any help?<BR><BR>John<BR>johto@aol.com