SQL vs XML - Bottom Line

Thread: SQL vs XML - Bottom Line

Default SQL vs XML - Bottom Line

If I have a page that is making several database calls, and now I need to add a call that sets several page level variables at the beginning of its execution, would I benefit from keeping those values in an xml file (in the same directory) and retrieving them using XMLHTTP rather than adding on another database call to the page? I&#039;m looking for the best performance, so I guess the question is whether opening and retrieving xml from a file is faster than retrieving the database with a stored procedure. <BR><BR>Thought? <BR><BR>Thanks, <BR>Jenkins

Default If you've already opened..

.. the database for other things, it is going to be faster to just read from the database.

Default You missed the fastest way...

Put them in Session variables.<BR><BR>Putting them in a file is problematical, at best. Now you have to be sure to remove all those little files when you are done with them.<BR><BR>Now, if the info is common to all users, then the file solution is okay, but again the even faster way is to use Application variables. (And also the least memory intensive.)<BR><BR><BR><BR>