Am I headed in the right direction?

Thread: Am I headed in the right direction?

Default Am I headed in the right direction?

Guys I have a number of questions that I guess I shouldve asked before moving from Access to SQL server. I am currently developing a relatively complex web based events management system suitable from small to larger type organisations. Such as universities, schools, public libraries, government organisations etc. I decided to make this move because I didnt want to have any performance issues or constraints with Access later on down the track.<BR><BR>Basically my questions are as follows...<BR><BR>1. What are the *real* limitations of Access. Would it be likely to fall over within an organisation of a few thousand? Or perhaps more?<BR>2. What are the advantages of SQL server over Access?<BR>3. Would it be cost effective for smaller organisations to consider SQL server over Access? I mean how does SQL server compare in pricing?<BR>4. Is it compulsory to purchase client access licenses? How would this then work for internet hosted servers that require anonymous connections?<BR>5. In the long term, have I really made the right choice?<BR><BR>Thanks for your comments in advance,<BR>John

Default The rule of thumb is, I think,...

...that Access can deal with a small number of concurrent users and will start to slow down if you have thousands of records. This is a rule of thumb only though.<BR><BR>This means that if in your application you&#039;re likely to have dozens of people updating records at the same time, then there&#039;ll be problems. Also, if you have thousands of people each with a dozen (or more) records, you&#039;ll find Access will slow down. However, it&#039;ll all depend on the size of the records.<BR><BR>I think SQL Server is going to more expensive, but for a large organisation this won&#039;t be too much of a problem. Smaller companies might complain.<BR><BR>I&#039;m not sure about the licence situation with SQL Server, so can&#039;t comment on that.<BR><BR>Don&#039;t take my word for it though. Search Google - there may be some comparisons on the web that will give you better information.<BR><BR>Oliver.