Session Variables

Thread: Session Variables

Default Session Variables

I have a question about session variables. My page is using them to pass information around to other forms. Just read that the variables are stored in a cookie. The question is can the user view the cookie and open it up to see the values and if so are they able to save the cookie with new values. My main concern is if they can change the values. Don`t want them to be able to do that. Is there any other way to share data. Outside of passing it in the url or hidden fields. ie is there a way to have global variables? Thanks. <BR>

Default RE: Session Variables

Sounds like you need the dictonary object. You can learn more about this at http://www.learnasp.com/learn/

JEB Guest

I&#039m not sure where you read that session variables are stored in a cookie. To my knowledge that it not the case. To store variables in a cookie you have to explicitly use the cookie syntax.<BR> I don&#039t recommend using the dictionary object by the way, unless you have low usage. There are 2 health warnings attached to them. One is that they are slow. The other is that you should never store COM objects in &#039Session&#039. I&#039m currently trying to find a workaround to this.

JEB Guest

DOH!. Just read about the &#039Session&#039 being synonymous with Cookies. Although it says that I would seek clarification that the variables are actually stored in the cookie. I still don&#039t think that to be the case because sessions variables are frowned upon due to memory usage on the server.