SMTPsvg.Mailer (newbie help)

Thread: SMTPsvg.Mailer (newbie help)

Nathan Lee Guest

Default SMTPsvg.Mailer (newbie help)

Hi guys,<BR><BR>I&#039m into my 4th day of programming in ASP (errm, with no previous VBScript experience) and I&#039ve got some mail code here from my predecessor. It works fine on the live webserver (I receive an e-mail), but when I work with it on our development server I get an error like this. <BR><BR>****************************************** *<BR>Server object error &#039ASP 0177 : 800401f3&#039 <BR><BR>Server.CreateObject Failed <BR><BR>/maillist/sendtomaillist.asp, line 42 <BR><BR>Invalid class string <BR><BR>*****************************<BR><BR>Can anyone tell me why this is happening, here is a snippet of the code where it appears to be falling over, I hope I paste in enough.<BR><BR>******************************<BR>d im redirect,subject,body,fromname,fromaddress,mailer, myGroup<BR><BR>redirect = StripHTMLTag(request.form("redirect"))<BR>subject = StripHTMLTag(request.form("Subject"))<BR>myGroup = request.form("myGroup")<BR>&#039body = StripHTMLTag(request.form("Content"))<BR>body = request.form("Content")<BR>fromname = request.form("fromname")<BR>fromaddress = request.form("fromaddress")<BR><BR>Set Mailer = Server.CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer")<BR>Mailer.QM essage = true<BR><BR>Mailer.FromName = fromname<BR>Mailer.FromAddress = fromaddress<BR>Mailer.RemoteHost = ""<BR>Mailer.Subject = subject<BR>Mailer.BodyText = body<BR>&#039Mailer.ContentType = "text/html" <BR>*******************************<BR><BR>Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance, you can contact me at<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Nathan

aLEX john Guest

Default RE: SMTPsvg.Mailer (newbie help)

I take it that your code is correct, since it has no problems on your live webserver. The problem lies in that your code tries to create a component, (that is installed in your live webserver, but not on your development one) but is missing and so rejects your request - as pointed out in the ambiguous error.<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR>Server.CreateObject Failed <BR><BR>/maillist/sendtomaillist.asp, line 42 <BR><BR>Invalid class string <BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Will work if you get the component installed on your development server, but bear in mind about licensing issues, copyright, etc, before doing so.

geeoff Guest

Default RE: SMTPsvg.Mailer (newbie help)

In short, register the DLL with the devo system using regsvr32 or run the setup program associated with this component.