Return value from remote server and integrate in p

Thread: Return value from remote server and integrate in p

Default Return value from remote server and integrate in p

I have an ASP.NET web app that serves up a map from mappoint given a legal address. It works great but now I want a client computer to be able to provide this capability. Essentially, what I need is a way for a web client to be able to collect a legal address and post this to my ASP.NET web app (over the internet to my IIS server).<BR><BR>I have done this with XMLHTTP but .NET has supplanted that technology with WebRequest and WebResponse. The only problem with this is that the client solution should not be dependent upon .NET (or IIS for that matter).<BR><BR>Ideally this would be a simple .html page that would:<BR><BR>1. collect the location info entered by a user... <BR>2. send the location info to a web form on my server (then I pass the location to my .dll that uses mappoint web service)...<BR>3. recieve a string return value from the remote server (my IIS server).<BR>4. write the return value to the page the client posted from.<BR><BR>I have developed a solution using XML Web Services but the problem with that is that, due to the client form requirements that it be an HTML form or simple asp page, I am limited to an HTTP POST. Doing so means that I cannot have a postback page (where they enter the address info and then the page refreshes with the results displayed below the form). What I get is a response in XML. Any idea how I can simulate a postback form and use my web service (ie, not display the results page on the Web Services server but integrate theose results into the form I posted from) would be greatly appreciated...<BR><BR>Jim B.<BR>

Default RE: Return value from remote server and integrate

Hmm, programmatic HTTP is pretty easy in many languages. Isn&#039;t it good enough to just publish your input and output formats and URL, and let your clients go to town?<BR><BR>If not, then do you have any idea of your target audience? If it&#039;s Windows then maybe you could provide a COM DLL and / or .NET assembly that does the "dirty work" behind the scenes. You mentioned you didn&#039;t want to require .NET, so maybe including a COM DLL also would work.<BR><BR>I can&#039;t think of a *simple* way you could use a plain old HTML page with no knowledge of the server-side implementation; generally the server *creates* the client-side output, to have them uncoupled like that goes against the model.<BR><BR>There are of course some convoluted methods that could be made to work, but none of them would be considered "simple" compared to just requiring the client to interface with your page programmatically over HTTP or providing a component for them to call.<BR><BR>Maybe someone else will have a better idea :(<BR><BR>Mike