I have a user update form that contains textboxes and a dropdownlist for a user to update their personal information (name & address). The form reveals the users information in the form fields queried from the dbase. <BR><BR>The problem I am having is setting the dropdownlist item to match the users original selection contained in the dbase (State of residence = rState, a dropdownlist item). <BR><BR>I have copied the error message and the relevant code below. Thanks for your help <BR>********************************************** ******************************* <BR>ERROR MESSAGE: <BR>Object reference not set to an instance of an object. <BR>Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. <BR><BR>Source Error: <BR>Line 26: rState.Items.FindByValue("rState").Selected = true <BR><BR>****************************************** *********************************** <BR>CODE: <BR>Sub Page_Load(Source as Object, E as EventArgs) <BR>label20.text = "The uname is: " & Context.Items("userName") & "" <BR>label30.text = "The pwd is: " & Context.Items("pword") & "" <BR>If not(Page.IsPostBack) <BR>Dim strConn as string = ("PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA Source=" & server.MapPath("/alum.mdb")) <BR>Dim conn AS new OleDbConnection(strConn) <BR>Dim strSelect = "SELECT fName, lName, mName, rPhone, rStreet, rCity, rState, rZip FROM aluminfo WHERE userName = &#039;" & Context.Items("userName") & "&#039;" <BR>Dim cmdGet as New OleDbCommand(strSelect, conn) <BR>conn.Open <BR>Dim drdGet as OleDbDataReader <BR>drdGet = cmdGet.ExecuteReader <BR>drdGet.Read() <BR>fName.Text = drdGet("fName") <BR>lName.Text = drdGet("lName") <BR>mName.Text = drdGet("mName") <BR>rPhone.Text = drdGet("rPhone") <BR>rStreet.Text = drdGet("rStreet") <BR>rCity.Text = drdGet("rCity") <BR>rState.Items.FindByValue("rState").Selected = true <BR>rZip.Text = drdGet("rZip") <BR>conn.Close <BR>End if <BR>end sub <BR>********************************************** *******************************