User Input With Quotes

Thread: User Input With Quotes

Default User Input With Quotes

I have a textarea the user can enter comments in and I need to save it to a database field. I submit the data through a form to my asp routine to save it, but can't seem to get it to work when there is a quote mark in the field. I've tried changing a ' to '' or changing it to ', but when I check the value of my hidden form field it still stops at the quote. I'd really appreciate some input!

Default Nothing to do with DB...

You are doing the right thing by replacing a single apostrophe with a pair of them in order to use a SQL INSERT or UPDATE query.<BR><BR>But when you drag the contents of a DB field back to the HTML field, *that* is when you are getting in trouble.<BR><BR>You *could* try something like:<BR><BR>&#060;INPUT Type=Hidden Value="&#060;%= Server.HTMLEncode(RS("whatever"))%&#062;" &#062;<BR><BR>That *will* take care of the " marks. Each " will be converted to &amp;quot; for you. Various other problem characters will also be fixed up. (But apostrophes are *NOT* changed!)<BR><BR>But then what do you do about line breaks in the text area????<BR><BR>Server.HTMLEncode won&#039;t handle them for you. Is it okay to have something like<BR><BR>&#060;INPUT Name="whatever" Type="Hidden" Value="John said, &amp;quot;Thanks for all the<BR>fish and come again soon.&amp;quot;"&#062;<BR><BR>with a line break in the middle of the quoted value? I dunno never tried it. If not, then you&#039;ll also have to find some way to encode your line breaks.<BR><BR>