Erratic email performance

Thread: Erratic email performance

Default Erratic email performance

I have a page which processes ecards. Users fill in a form, and the data gets loaded into a db, and recipients get emailed to say they&#039;ve got the ecard. <BR><BR>However in about 25% of cases, the user does not get the ecard.<BR><BR>My host uses ServerObject&#039;s ASPMail. The script that send the email out is at the end of the process.asp page after the &#060;/HTML&#062; tag, and this is what it looks like:<BR><BR>BODY = "Test line"<BR>Set Mailer = Server.CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer")<BR>Mailer.Fr omName = from_name<BR>Mailer.FromAddress= from_email<BR>Mailer.RemoteHost = ""<BR>Mailer.AddRecipient to_name, to_email<BR>Mailer.Subject = "ecard sent..."<BR>Mailer.BodyText = body<BR><BR> if Mailer.SendMail then<BR> Response.Write "&nbsp"<BR> else <BR> err = "INSERT INTO j_ecard_err (fldDate, errorDesc, cardID) VALUES (now(), &#039;"&Mailer.Response&"&#039;,"&maxID&")"<BR> set errRS = oConn.Execute(err)<BR> &#039;Response.Write "Mail send failure. Error was " & Mailer.Response<BR> end if<BR><BR>Set Mailer = nothing<BR><BR>There are no loops or reponse.redirects above the code, which would mean that at some point the page might redirect to another page, it should just run from top to bottom without a problem. I have tried for a while to BCC the email to myself, but they don&#039;t come through all the time either, so something is going wrong.<BR><BR>e.g. Today 20 ecards were sent from the site, but I only got 15 BCC emails. So I presume if I didn&#039;t get the email neither did the person the ecard was destined for.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve set the code to write the code to a db if it doesn&#039;t work, but for some reason this db is still empty, so even though the email code isn&#039;t executed, it&#039;s not I presume because it&#039;s erroring, otherwise it&#039;d be added to the database.<BR><BR>The rest of the ASP code to enter the data into the database does not error out either. I&#039;ve tested the page myself a number of times and it runs fine. I don&#039;t use &#039;on error resume next&#039; or any error trapping, so if it was going to error I&#039;d get an error message. Instead it seems to run fine, but sometimes the email does not get sent.<BR><BR>And ideas?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Jim

Default RE: Erratic email performance

do you have on error resume next somewhere in the code? I don&#039;t see it in that snippet. the send() call could be failing dramatically and never going any further....<BR><BR><BR><BR>j<BR>