alignment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alignment

Default alignment

hi all,<BR> I&#039;m sending a text email; with three headings at the top then the appropriate rs below each of these as listed below:<BR>Problem: what is the best way to get the rs to align properly under the correct headings:<BR>eg.<BR>NAME PRICE ONE PRICE TWO<BR>blah blah $34.34 $23.232<BR>blach blahg $99.33 $27.202<BR><BR>Currently if the name is shorter or longer the row gets push over or pulls back with the headings rmaining still.<BR><BR>"NAME PRICEONE PRICETWO" &vbCrlf&_ <BR>""&rs("name")&" "&rs("price_one")&" "&rs("price_two")& " "&vbCrlf&_<BR>

Default RE: alignment

Easiest way is to make an HTML table in your mail

Default RE: alignment

this has to be a text base email...I alerady have an HTML version...is this alignment even possible with a text base email? do I need to write a function of some sort??<BR>thanks

Default If it's plain text...

.. you can just pad the strings with spaces to enforce the string lengths that you want.<BR><BR>You&#039;ll also need to truncate anything longer than the allotted # of characters.<BR><BR>Something like this:<BR>Dim s<BR> s = "This is 30 characters234567890XXXXX"<BR> s = FitSpace(s, 30)<BR><BR> Response.Write chr(34) & s & Chr(34)<BR><BR>Function FitSpace(str, max)<BR><BR>Dim out<BR> If Len(str) &#062; max Then<BR> out = Left(str, max - 3) & "..."<BR> Else<BR> out = str<BR> End If<BR><BR> If max &#062; Len(str) Then<BR> out = str & Space(max - Len(str))<BR> End If<BR><BR> FitSpace = out<BR><BR>End Function

Default And

It would help if you used a Fixed width Font such as Courier<BR><BR>

Default Saved to my knowledge base..

http://www.27seconds.com/kb/article_view.asp?id=53

Default Ummmm...

Why do you do the second IF test even when you know it will fail?<BR><BR>Function FitSpace(str, max)<BR> If Len(str) &#062; max Then<BR> FitSpace= Left(str, max - 3) & "..."<BR> ElseIf Len(str) &#060; max Then<BR> FitSpace = str & Space(max - Len(str))<BR> Else<BR> FitSpace = str<BR> End If<BR>End Function<BR><BR>

Default Okay, I give up...

...If it has to be a TEXT-based email, as he said, how does he set the font, at all???<BR><BR>

Default I don't think you can...

You can use the suggestions on padding with spaces, but if the user has his/her email reader set up to default to a proportional width font, then even that won&#039;t help.<BR><BR>Your best bet would probably be to use tabs:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>body = body & FormatCurrency(xyz) & vbTab & FormatCurrency(abc) & vbTab & FormatNumber(num) & vbNewLine<BR>...<BR>%&#062;<BR>

Default Even using tabs...

...you&#039;ll want to pad or shorten the names somewhat. But if somebody&#039;s name is "Mommy Wow" and another person&#039;s name is "Ili Lif" I doubt you can get the padding/shortening right without tons of code, anyway.<BR><BR>