Database Update via Download

Thread: Database Update via Download

Default Database Update via Download

I have a client that unfortunately has their web site hosted by another company. They have a form on their web site which they want directly submitted to their Microsoft Access database. Since this is not possible due to the fact that the database is not stored on the web server, they would like to be able to download an MDB (Access database file) daily and import the data into their real database on the corporate network. Anyone have any ideas on how I could go about doing this, and doing it securely. I dont want anyone to be able to download the updated MDB, just people who have maybe a correct login and password. I am also not very familiar on how I will let them download the database. Any help would be appreciated Thank you in advance.<BR><BR>Shawn Berg<BR>Innovative webMedia

Jason Buck Guest

Default RE: Database Update via Download

You should have access to the log files from your client&#039s ISP/Hosting Provider. In the log files the server tells you exactly what page was downloaded. This includes files that are downloaded. <BR><BR>IE GET, /xxxx/Com_xxxx_xxxx/Security Agreement 3-29-00 red.doc,<BR><BR>You could then create an import specification in Access to import information from the log files and then delete all of the entries like the one above for .jpg, .gif, .htm, .html, .asp, etc...<BR><BR>I don&#039t know what kind of Host you are using, but if the Hosting service supports ASP then you could write your own log file.<BR><BR>Checkout the following 4Guys Article by Ryan S.<BR><BR>If there is anything else that I can help you with, please let me know.<BR><BR>Respectfully,<BR><BR>Jason<BR>webmast