A PROBLEM WITH SINGLE QUOTES IN A VARCHAR2 VARIABLE IN ORACLE

Thread: A PROBLEM WITH SINGLE QUOTES IN A VARCHAR2 VARIABLE IN ORACLE

Solution Guest

Default A PROBLEM WITH SINGLE QUOTES IN A VARCHAR2 VARIABLE IN ORACLE

Hi,<BR><BR> When you update/insert data in to a Oracle Database from VB or ASP, you write SQL statements and make the change via ADO&#039s,RDO&#039s etc. the sql stms may look like <BR>sqlstmt = "Update table1 " <BR>sqlstmt = sqlstmt & " set my_Column = " & myData<BR>sqlstmt = sqlstmt & " where condition = true"<BR><BR>The problem arises when myData has a single quote in it<BR>eg. myData = "Ralph&#039s Flower Market "<BR><BR>Now in ORacle single quot is the same as double quotes in VB.I tried using some oracle escape characters like the /, but did not work. Is there a way that someone has tried and works ?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR>

Jaska Guest

Default RE: A PROBLEM WITH SINGLE QUOTES IN A VARCHAR2 VARIABLE IN ORACLE

Is this what you are looking for?<BR><BR>squote=chr(39)<BR>myData = "Ralph" & squote & " s Flower Market "

Solution Guest

Default RE: A PROBLEM WITH SINGLE QUOTES IN A VARCHAR2 VARIABLE IN ORACLE

The problem is that Oracle will have a problem with just one single quote.<BR><BR>The solution is to put to single quotes together<BR>so myData = "Ralph" & squote & squote "s Flower Markiet"<BR><BR>This works fine when i pass to the Oracle database.