ASP, .DLL components, and Visual Studio 6

Thread: ASP, .DLL components, and Visual Studio 6

Anthony T Guest

Default ASP, .DLL components, and Visual Studio 6

I am learning ASP and Visual Studio 6.0. What I am working on now is creating .DLL&#039s to do common tasks and common HTML code. I can create and build the .DLL, push it to my server (NT 4.0 w/ IIS 4.0), register it, and run it. However, after I run the .DLL once, I can&#039t delete it and replace it with a new version (After I fix the problems) without re-booting my server because it claims that the file is still in use. I can close all programs on my client and I still can&#039t delete the file on my server. There has to be a better way to test my .DLL&#039s without having to re-boot my server over and over. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Anthony

Darren Hoefgen Guest

Default RE: ASP, .DLL components, and Visual Studio 6

I have had this problem myself many times.<BR><BR>Perhaps this will help.<BR>If the component executes correctly from beginning to end and you have destroyed it in your ASP then if you stop the IISADMIN service and related services you should be able to unregister it and re-register it.<BR><BR>If you Dll didn&#039t execute properly and you aren&#039t using MTX then things get trickier. Usually you can stop IIS and it will eventually time out, allowing you to unregister. But if you are impatient then you will have to reboot.<BR><BR>If you are using MTX to run your components (you would know if you are) MTX should handle all this for you.<BR><BR>I have found that I usually do the bulk of development on my local machine with PWS and run the DLL in debug mode. Then I register it on the server, and run it there. This lets me see how it behaves without having to register it and thus letting IIS control when it will let go of memory..<BR><BR>Darren