web app crashes

Thread: web app crashes

Default web app crashes

I&#039;m having a nasty little problem that I am hoping has an easy answer.<BR><BR>there are two places on the web site where on average 350 items are added or updated.<BR><BR>When any of these two actions occur, for 3 - 5+ seconds, the CPU usage on the server is pegged at 100%, and the database is locked for that entire period. Then, if nobody else is using the database or ordering platform, it will continue as normal.<BR><BR>If, however, a read/write request is made to any database during this 3 - 5 second window, the server then freezes all ASP activity on every web site its hosting for at least 2 minutes. Eventually it works itself free, but by that time its too late. We&#039;ve had users email us this: "Then it says script timed out on the screen and this has happened several<BR>times."<BR><BR>There aren&#039;t that many users, using the site at one time, but the database is Access 2000. <BR><BR>The big writes to the database are to a table called shopping cart, where everyone is getting their own cart. Nobody is ever changing anyone elses data but there own. I thought that only the records that were being chaged are locked and other people can grab their own records. Is this a flawed statement? <BR><BR>Can anyone guide me in the right direction?<BR><BR>Jason<BR>

Default RE: web app crashes

what database are you using?<BR><BR>Access has a pretty crude locking system, as does MySQL, in comparison to more capable databases such as SQL Server. What are you using?<BR><BR><BR>j<BR>http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/