How to win content wars

Thread: How to win content wars

Default How to win content wars

Just recently I offered to help a client design a website for his business free of charge. (Free because im trying to build a client base). Anyhow, 2 months later, the site itself looked great, with an online store, and the usual array of information based pages. Everything was there except CONTENT. After having repeatadly requested information or content for the site from the client I got nothing. I made it clear.."Hey i design web pages, I dont know anything about your business...I need this information from you" Such as product type overviews, trading hours, company profile, goods and services etc. In the end the project came to a complete standstill because...<BR><BR>1. I couldnt simply "make the content up"<BR>2. The client was always too busy<BR>3. I was certain that the client honestly didnt understand what content was.<BR><BR>So how do I prevent this from happening? I spoke recently to a designer who was telling me to quote the job without content. Sounds ok, but a little unusual. I guess the other option would be to use a backend content management system of some type, which then would allow clients to add their own content whilst online. But then that would certainly incur additional costs to the client, and there are no doubt further questions with doing this.<BR><BR>It would be so much nicer if you could make money without clients!!!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>John

Default RE: How to win content wars

Spec everything out on paper first. CLEARLY STATE what you are required to develop and ANYTHING that is the responsibility of the client. Sign, date, copy, and file.

Default RE: How to win content wars

I generally build in a simple CMS, fill the site with dummy content (Lorem Ipsum et al.), and if the client doesn&#039;t want to add the content, it&#039;s their problem not mine, which I try to make clear right away. Usually I can pull this off with one table, one admin page and a common &#039;showContent()&#039; function included in the code.<BR><BR>You&#039;re right though. the biggest problem in web development is the bloody client. <BR><BR>"I want blinking text over there and one of those animated gifs with my logo on fire and over here in really big letters I want &#039;shop here&#039;. and I don&#039;t want people to be able to email me, but the site should be customer friendly, and I want all this for half your quoted price. And it should definitely be white text on a black background and I want to be number one on google when the customer searches for anything. And I want it yesterday"... ad nauseum.<BR><BR><BR>j<BR>

Default ....white text on a black background

...jesus thats awful!<BR><BR>Thanks guys...<BR><BR>Looks like the only way to avoid this is clarification upon proposal and or quotation. <BR><BR>But no doubt, Ill be hearing..."but you didnt say anything about that, what do you mean about content"<BR><BR>Thats when I whip out the approval form with their signature on it and reply.."so you want to change your mind?...that will come at a price my lovely"...hehehe