Netscape - Is it still a conideration?

Thread: Netscape - Is it still a conideration?

Default Netscape - Is it still a conideration?

How many active web developers out there are actually considering Netscape compatibility with their sites/applications?<BR>I was told recently from a database administrator that many web developers are not taking into consideration, cross browser compatibility and simply coding for IE alone?<BR><BR>Is this true?<BR><BR>What are the percentages of Netscape users out there?<BR><BR>Whos telling the truth?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>John

Default well I'm using it right now.....

... or at least the Firebird version of Mozilla, which is essentially the same thing.<BR><BR>I&#039;m not supproting NN4.x now, of course, but 6.x and better should be a part of your strategy.<BR><BR>it&#039;s down to quite a small percentage, but they&#039;re a disproportionately vocal percentage, so best to support them....<BR><BR><BR>j<BR>

Default RE: well I'm using it right now.....

I develop with NS6 + and IE5.5 + in mind as my main audience, but I keep copies of NS4, IE4 and Opera 7 on my machine out of interest. <BR><BR>I think it&#039;s useful to know what your sites look like on older browsers - apart from anything else they might throw up errors which actually reveal some sloppy client-side code on your part which were tolerated by later clients!<BR><BR>Sure, NOBODY uses NS4 anymore, but that doesn&#039;t mean you shouldn&#039;t try to code as inclusively as you can (within reason).<BR><BR>P.S. Opera sucks. ;-) It may be quick, but it&#039;s really inconsistent in its handling of js, in my experience. So I tend to detect for it where I can and tell people to use IE6 SP1 or NS7.1 instead - the trouble is, it has an option to "identify as IE" or NS or whatever. Which is REALLY REALLY annoying lol<BR><BR>