Autonumber issue

Thread: Autonumber issue

Draugen Guest

Default Autonumber issue

I have been relying on the Autonumber field to list my database entries from oldest to newest. Normally the Autonumber would be listed<BR>1 2 3 4 and so on... But say I delete entry 2, it then is listed 1 3 4 ...<BR><BR>I have other areas that rely on Autonumber staying in the order of 1 2 3 4 so if a number is missing things get messy.<BR><BR>Is it possible to make it so that each time I delete an entry, all the autonumber fields re-number themselves? Meaning if I have 1 2 3 and 2 gets deleted, then 3 becomes 2 and it then lists 1 2<BR><BR>Or are there any other suggestions on how to deal with this?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Fritz Vandover Guest

Default RE: Autonumber issue

It sounds like you are autonumbering something so that it has a unique identifier, so renumbering everything is going to screw up the all your informations unique ids. Try making a relationship between whatever id&#039ed by the number and whatever is referring to the number and then delete both if you need to delete one of the id&#039ed items. It sounds complext, but it really helps make it a tighter ship.