Private administration update

Thread: Private administration update

Default Private administration update

I am very new to ASP and I need help to complete a task I am working on., here goes...<BR><BR>There is an online newsletter page on a website that staff/employees can update through a private administration area.<BR><BR>The directory on the server is /newsletter/, I want to create an additional but seperate newsletter directory which I will call /clinical trials/. Essentially this means I am replicating the current newsletter directory. <BR><BR>I do not know how to do this in ASP.<BR><BR>The other problem is that...<BR><BR>There is an access database linked to the current newsletter page. I&#039;d like for the new clinical trial directory to also be linked to this database. However all articles posted must be kept seperate and only unique to either newsletter.<BR><BR><BR>Finally I&#039;d like the administration area to be modified to allow editing of either newsletters.<BR><BR>I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions

Default Don't copy the files using ASP...

...because that would be tiresome. It sounds like you need to copy the files only once and then the new newsletter will run independantly of the first. Just use FTP to download the original folder, then rename it on your local system to "clinical trials", and then upload it again using FTP.<BR><BR>How you&#039;re going to use the same database, depends on how it is set up. If you have a table structure like below, it&#039;ll be easy:<BR><BR>Table "Newsletters":<BR>Newsletter_ID: Autonumber<BR>Name: Text<BR><BR>Table "Newsletter Items":<BR>Newsitem_ID: Autonumber<BR>Newsletter_ID: Long (FK from "Newsletters")<BR>Date: Date<BR>Body: Text<BR><BR>In the setup above, each entry in the "Newsletter Items" table links to the "Newsletters" table via the "Newsletter_ID" field. To use the same database but keep the newsletters separate, simply add another record to the "Newsletters" table and then use its Newsletter_ID in the "Newsletter Items" table.<BR><BR>A simple "SELECT * FROM [Newsletter Items] WHERE Newsletter_ID=123456789 ORDER BY Date;" returns the items for the first newsletter and "SELECT * FROM [Newsletter Items] WHERE Newsletter_ID=888888888 ORDER BY Date;" the items for the second newsletter.<BR><BR>Obviously, the actual numbers depend on the "Newsletters" table.<BR><BR>I hope this makes sense,<BR>Oliver.