Error Operation must use an updateable query.

Thread: Error Operation must use an updateable query.

Bryan ( Guest

Default Error Operation must use an updateable query.

My script connects fine to my dsn, which points to an Access database. It returns records without a hitch. But when I try to insert a new record, or update an existing record, it gives me the following error message:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. <BR><BR>This happened when I used a dsn-less connection, and I thought that&#039s what could be causing this. So I moved it into a DSN, and it still doesn&#039t work. The error breaks when it gets to the line where I execute my SQL statement. As far as I know, the SQL is perfect, because it works flawlessly on my home computer running Win98 with PWS and SQL Server 7. If anyone has any ideas as to what is causing the problem, and especially how to fix it, please let me know here at the message board or at Thanks for your time.<BR>

Kevitt Guest

Default RE: Error Operation must use an updateable query.

At home, you&#039re running Win98/SQL7.0/PWS on a single PC.<BR>Are you, by any chance, accessing a remote SQL server when receiving this error?<BR><BR>If so, it&#039s probably permissions.

No. At home, i&#039m running from local PWS to local SQL Server. It works just fine. At the remote site, the SQL server is replaced with an access database that is essentially the same as the one in SQL server. When i moved the site over to the remote location, I substituted a &#039dbconnect.asp&#039 include file that deals with the different DSN&#039s. (thus the local version connects to SQL Server while the remote version connects to the Access database DSN). All of the scripts are tested and functional locally. As for permissions, I checked that. My host gave the directory with the db full permissions. The user that IIS runs under is full permissions as well.

Kevitt Guest

Ok. Well, I only know of a couple things that can cause that error.<BR><BR>Again, make sure that the internet guest account(IUSR_&#060;machinename&#062;) has at least read/write permissons for for that folder. Any time you open an access database, a .ldb file needs to be created. When working under Win98 that&#039s no problem. NT/IIS is a different story.<BR><BR>Also, did you specify a connection mode? If so, you might try either Conn.mode = 0, or Conn.mode = 3. I believe if no mode is specified, then it defaults to 0 (unknown), but that should allow updates. Mode 3 is adModeReadWrite which specifically allows updates.<BR><BR>I&#039d specifically ask your Web host if the Internet Guest Account has write permissions to that folder - not you, not the DSN, but IUSR_MachineName.<BR><BR>And, by the way, "I&#039m sure the SQL is perfect!" are some my most famous last words...before I end up eating them ;)