Detecting expiring sessions

Thread: Detecting expiring sessions

Default Detecting expiring sessions

Hi there!<BR><BR>I&#039;m working on an extranet type site with user logon and password. Upon logging in there are a whole bunch of sessions defined.<BR><BR>Is there any way how I can detect the moment a session on the server expires. And consequently warn the user, redirect him to another page or anything?<BR><BR>Thanx for your time and ideas,<BR><BR>Gertjan

Default RE: Detecting expiring sessions

article on this on 4guysfromrolla.com

sorry, the user has to interact with the server for you to do that....<BR><BR>what you could do is set a client side timer, set it to timeout at the same time the session timesout, something like<BR><BR>setTimeout(&#039;redirectto_warning.as p&#039;, 19000);<BR><BR>that would redirect to a warning page 1 minute before session timeout, then, just reset that on every new page.<BR><BR>May want to use a popup though, as it could be very irritating to lose your page....<BR><BR>

Default PS...

you know what I mean&#039;t<BR><BR>setTimeout(&#039;self.location.href=&#039;redirect to_warning.asp&#039;&#039;, 19000); <BR><BR>:-)

Default RE: PS...

Yes I know what you mean thanx :)<BR>just looking around for different solutions at this time ...

errm... I checked couldn&#039;t find much. Is it a problem to post the link?<BR><BR>thanx

Default I believe Bank of America's website

uses the pop-up functionality, and we mimic it here at my location. What we did was invoke the client timeout on load and call a popup 1 minute before the session expires. In the popup we reset the timer and by processing the form reset the server session. If the user fails to close the window after a minute, we close the child window and redirect the parent window to our logout function.