database access problem

Thread: database access problem

Default database access problem

I am using access databases and have been having problems consitantly accessing them. I posted about this a few other times and was told to use the Jet driver to access the db&#039;s because it was less buggy. I am doing this now and it did work to a degree but it is still buggy and results in problems every once in a while. Like now I am getting the error:<BR><BR>Error Type:<BR>Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)<BR>The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039;C:
    ew_engineeringdbFiles.mdb&#039;. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.<BR>C:NEW_ENGINEERINGADMIN../library/openFDB.asp, line 5<BR><BR>I am opening the connection with the following code:<BR><BR>Dim Fconn<BR>Set Fconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Fconn.O pen "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("../db/files.mdb")<BR><BR>The only method I have found that seems to fix this problem is to make a copy of the database, delete the old one and replace it with the copy. This is a pretty bad sollution in my problem because while it&#039;s easy enough when all I have is a test database once the system gets functioning the db is going to become significantly larger, and access to it will not be as simple because it will be on a server somewhere rather than my local machine. I also have no idea what is causing this problem. I think it may have something to do with Access not releasing a lock on the file but even a restart does not fix the problem and I did not think that kind of a lock would survive a restart. Any ideas what in the world is going on?

Default Do you have your database set

to shared mode as opposed to exclusive mode? Do you know where to check for this?

Default I've not had this problem myself...

...but something similar. I found that it was due to my code not closing the database connection properly, or a page, that opens a connection, crashing (or rather not executing fully) or timing out.<BR><BR>If it happens often, then check your code to make sure that you close every connection that you open.<BR><BR>If it doesn&#039;t happen often, then it may be a page crashing that causes it. Not sure what to do about it, other than double-check all relevant pages to see whether they are likely to crash or time out.<BR><BR>Oliver.