Converting HTML to an Image on the fly?

Thread: Converting HTML to an Image on the fly?

Default Converting HTML to an Image on the fly?

I want to prevent users from harvesting data from a site. Most of the stuff I don&#039;t care about but some data I want them only to be able to read or print.<BR><BR>I figured the easiest way to do this is to find a way to somehow convert a table to an image and display a dynamic image rather than the table......the problem is, I have no idea how to go about this!<BR><BR>Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Well...

There is no end all to this, depends on what kidn of data you are hosting. <BR><BR>But with the advent of more advanced OCR software, even text in images isn&#039;t secure.<BR><BR>Becides doing this may hurt your placement on search engines and such.<BR><BR>I suppose you could use something like SImageUtil to transform text into an image, or something like ActivePDF to convert your pages into PDF format...<BR><BR>-- Whol

Default Good answer...

In point of fact, even non-advanced OCR software has no problem converting computer-generated JPGs and GIFs to text.<BR><BR>I had a scanner FOUR YEARS ago that came with software that could do this. It had trouble with the JPGs that the scanner produced, but it had no trouble at all with commercial-quality JPGs, which presumably would include anything you might produce via a program.<BR><BR>There are tons of image processing components out there--ones that would let you create a JPG with textual content. But is it worth it? They put a horrific load on the server--to the point where you&#039;d probably get maybe only 10% as many users able to connect at same time.<BR><BR>Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Recognize that you will get ripped off by some percentage and factor that into your costs. After all, if grocery stores bump their prices by the amount of shoplifting that occurs...<BR><BR>