Memberships, Authentican, and the Like

Thread: Memberships, Authentican, and the Like

Default Memberships, Authentican, and the Like

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039;m working on converting an ASP application to an ASP.NET application. It&#039;s a checkbook balancing program, and it allows users to login and view his/her own individual checkbook register.<BR><BR>In classic ASP, I used a Session variable called Session("login") to store the username of the person logged in. I used that variable to also point to the directory containing the user&#039;s database.<BR><BR>I want to know how I would accomplish this same thing in .NET. I was able to successfully use Session variables to do it, but I can&#039;t help but think my method was a little &#039;hacked,&#039; and there must be a better way.<BR><BR>Does anyone know the best way to do this? How do those web-based email programs work? How to they keep track of who is logged in? And how is this best accomplished in .NET?<BR><BR>If anyone could help, or point me to a tutorial or something, I would be most appreciative.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>-Steve

Default RE: Memberships, Authentican, and the Like

The session variable should work just fine, most people dont like to use session variables because they persist in the servers memory and you can get a build up of them. The alternative is to use cookies on the clients machine. <BR><BR>In .NET you can also use something called the viewState which is kind of like a mini session in that it works just like a session but expires when a user leaves the page.