But Why?

Thread: But Why?

Default But Why?

I have reviewed the FAQ, searched the forums, and bought XML books, and in all of that I cannot seem to find an answer that makes sense to me. Why XML?<BR><BR>It is not an efficient way of storing data. It is humanly readable. It requires (effectively) a program to parse it out. All in all I cannot seem to grasp what all the hubbub us about.<BR><BR>Typically you want data secured. You do not want just anybody to be able to read a database. I personally would not want my personal data, salary, employment reviews etc etc easily readable by anyone that stumbles on the XML database.<BR><BR>It is incredible inefficient. Every bit of data has to be tagged as to what it is, creating substantial overhead. In simple CSV files, a comma separates variable lenght data fields with incredible efficiency. An XML database on 35,000 employees would be incredibly huge compared to traditional methods. This same overhead means data will transfer more slowly and less securely. <BR><BR>A csv file of data, with the first row the data definitions, and subsequent rows of data would be just as readable, far more efficient to transmit, and require less space. It is still self defining, exchangeable, and universal and requires no special tools to create. It also would be best viewed with a parser, but so is XML.<BR><BR>I cannot see an advantage to this technology, however there must be a point I&#039;m missing. Vendors seem to be in a head long rush to embrace it, developers seem to want to develop in it and for the life of me I can&#039;t see why.<BR><BR>I really don’t like to be cynical, however is it possible that Microsoft and others have just run out of ideas and are pushing this so they can continue to sell products that now incorporate this technology into them?<BR><BR>Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.<BR>

Default bought the xml books but didn't read them

XML is not a database and thus all of your comments comparing it are irrelevant.<BR><BR>XML is largely used as a standardized way to structure data that can be read on virtually any platform. It makes it much easier to have windows machines talk to unix machines. While it is possible to do it other ways, it is much easier to have a standard that everyone can comply with.<BR><BR>Granted, XML is bloated. Using attribute based documents instead of node based documents help a lot though. Also using the right object for your parsing makes a big different with parsing.<BR><BR>Now, I use XML as a database within a database for our research and measurement software. Offers some powerful capabilities that are also much faster than the typical RDBMS.<BR><BR>Now, go back and read your books again with an open mind...