DTC AND CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING

Thread: DTC AND CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING

krish Guest

Default DTC AND CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING

I am developing a data bound web form and I am using<BR>client side DTC scripting method ( DHTML). I noticed one problem<BR>with this approch ie when we view the page source we can see<BR>full data base connection string including username and password.<BR>Like following<BR><BR>&#060;SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><BR>function _initForecastRs()<BR>{<BR>ForecastRs.setRecordSour ce(&#039DSN=FFS;User<BR>Id=iusr_ffs;PASSWORD=xyz;D escription=FFS -<BR>KRISH;SERVER=(local);UID=iusr_ffs;APP=Microsof t Development<BR>Environment;WSID=abc;DATABASE=FFS&# 039, &#039Select * from "Forecast_cycle"&#039);<BR>ForecastRs.open();<BR>< BR>}<BR><BR>Any help<BR>thanks<BR>krish

Default RE: DTC AND CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING

One way to avoid this is to use the Javascript as a seperate file. In other words, take all of your Javascript code and cut it out of your html document, then paste it into a new file. Then save the new file with a .js extension. Then in your HTML code simply point to the js file. It is similar to an include file in ASP.<BR><BR>Example:<BR><BR>&#060;body><BR>&#060;s cript language="javascript" src="filename.js" type="text/javascript">&#060;/script><BR>&#060;/body><BR><BR>The only problem with this is that an experienced internet developer will be able to view the source code of your HTML and see that you link to an external JS file. Then they can type the address of the JS file into their browser and download the file, depending on your web server you may be able to prevent the download though. I hope this helps. You may want to consider using ASP because then you can use an include file instead of the JS file and you can have the extension of the include file be .asp which cannot be veiwed or downloaded.<BR><BR>If you have any more questions you may e-mail me at edl2@hotmail.com

krish Guest

Default RE: DTC AND CLIENT SIDE SCRIPTING

thanks eric for your response. My problem is some what different type. I forgot to mention that I am using VI 6.0 with client side<BR>scripting (DHTML, RDS). If you create a new html file and drag and drop recordset design time control you can see VI putting <BR>java script routines which are non editable.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>krish