Help Creating Text File

Thread: Help Creating Text File

Default Help Creating Text File

This is my first attempt at using the FileSystemObject to create a text file. I am not adding anything to the text file at this time, only attempting to creat and then delete a text file to test permissions with the code below:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR> Dim objFSC<BR> Set objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")< BR> textfilename= objFSO.GetTempName<BR><BR> Set objTS=objFSO.CreateTextFile(Server.MapPath("/") & textfilename)<BR> <BR> objTS.Close<BR> Set objTS = nothing <BR> objFSO.DeleteFile Server.MapPath("/") & textfilename, False <BR> Set objFSO = Nothing <BR>%&#062;<BR><BR><BR>I get permission denied on the create text file line 6. if I had the correct permissions, would this code work? Is there a way to figure out the permissions through an ASP page of a remotely hosted server? Anyone who has used CrystalTech as their host, do they allow write and full access for this purpose as the FAQ says it is required? If not, is this something I can request? <BR><BR>How would I add the results of a recordset to the textfile? Would I need to do objTS.WriteLine or am I barking up the wrong tree? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Default CrystalTech's Control Panel..

.. allows you to give the directory Write permissions to the Everyone (I think that&#039;s what it&#039;s called on there) account.<BR><BR>You may want to move this into a subfolder so that you don&#039;t have to give Write permissions to your entire site.

Default I will look into it

thanks ;) does the code look good before I change the permissions and kill the server :)

Default So I moved the file to a subdirectory

and modified the permissions on that directory to allow read, write, execute and delete for everyone on the sub directory at Crystal Tech and still get a permissions denied error. Any suggestions?

Default RE: So I moved the file to a subdirectory

Try this code:<BR>Dim oFs: Set oFS = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")< BR>Dim oTs: Set oTs = oFs.OpenTextFile(Server.MapPath("out/Temp.txt"), 8, True) &#039;8=ForAppend<BR> oTs.Write "The cat in the hat." & vbCrLf<BR> oTs.Close<BR>Set oTs = Nothing<BR><BR>That code will create a text file called "Temp.txt" in the "out" folder. The "out" folder needs to have Write permissions on it.