output to PPT format

Thread: output to PPT format

Default output to PPT format

A newbie here! I need to send data out in Power Point (.ppt) file. Users will select criteria, generate the report, and then expect to see it in PPT format. <BR><BR>I have basic integers that I&#039;ll calculate into percentages then I&#039;d like to have them display in a Power Point file in pie charts.<BR><BR>Any ideas would help greatly!

Default Why PPT?

Powerpoint is a progam meant as a support for people doing person to person lectures. Doing what you propose seems like a strange extension. There is a company call Presidia that has an excellent way of converting PPT to Flash and they may have a tool that is in line with what you want to do ... I think www.presidia.com ..<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Default It's probably possible...

...to do this. You&#039;d have to "script" PowerPoint as an ActiveX component. By doing something like<BR> Set ppt = Server.CreateObject("PowerPoint.application")<BR>< BR>but I have no idea what methods you would then invoke on that object. Basically, you will have to replace every "keystroke" or "mouseclick" that you would use to create a PPT presentation manually with one (or often more!) calls to methods on that object. I would bet that just producing one simple chart could end up being dozens or even hundreds of method calls.<BR><BR>It strikes me that you are taking on an *extremely* difficult project for a newbie.<BR><BR>If you are still determined to proceed, you&#039;ll have to try to locate the ActiveX methods documentation for PowerPoint. (I *did* at least check to find out if the object can be instantiated via ASP, and it can.)<BR><BR>

Default May I add...

... that if this is the solution then one method to ease the learning process is to record a macro of what you want to do, and once recorded... go see the script for the macro in the VB Editor... This way you get lot of ready made code you can work with.

Default Aaahhh! Cute trick!

But you&#039;ll still have to be able to *find* the appropriate sub-objects inside the main ActiveX object.<BR><BR>For example, I recorded this silly macro:<BR><BR>Sub Macro1()<BR> ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.Shapes("Rectangl e 2").Select<BR> ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.TextRa nge.Select<BR> ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.TextRa nge.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=0).Select<BR> With ActiveWindow.Selection.TextRange<BR> .Text = "This is my title"<BR> With .Font<BR> .Name = "Arial"<BR> .Size = 44<BR> .Bold = msoFalse<BR> .Italic = msoFalse<BR> .Underline = msoFalse<BR> .Shadow = msoFalse<BR> .Emboss = msoFalse<BR> .BaselineOffset = 0<BR> .AutoRotateNumbers = msoFalse<BR> .Color.SchemeColor = ppTitle<BR> End With<BR> End With<BR> ActiveWindow.Selection.Unselect<BR>End Sub<BR><BR>**********<BR><BR>But somehow you have to get a window opened up an active to begin with, before you can start doing things based on "ActiveWindow".<BR><BR>But yeah, this would simplify the task by orders of magnitude, probably. Don&#039;t forget you have to convert VBA code to VBScript code, though that&#039;s generally easy enough.<BR><BR>This *still* doesn&#039;t strike me as a smart project for a "newbie" to tackle, though.<BR><BR>