SMTP, ASPMAIL.WHAT IS SMTP,how to chwck if i have it.

Thread: SMTP, ASPMAIL.WHAT IS SMTP,how to chwck if i have it.

Default SMTP, ASPMAIL.WHAT IS SMTP,how to chwck if i have it.

hi,<BR><BR>i have windows 95,IIS4.0,visualinterdev6.0<BR>in my network settings i have following protocols tcp/ip,spx/ipx.<BR><BR>to use ASPMAIL how can i get smtp,is it a must.<BR><BR>my ISP server type is PPP.<BR>when i send mails,the status line reads-<BR>contacting smtp.famvid.com<BR><BR>AM CONFUSED:WHICH DO I HAVE-SMTP OR PPP?<BR>HELP.

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: SMTP, ASPMAIL.WHAT IS SMTP,how to chwck if i have it.

SMTP is the server you use to send e-mail to other e-mail addresses. A pop3 server is a server that your mail sits on until you connect to download it. (in otherwords pop3 is for receiving mail). SMTP stands for Sending Mail Transfer Protocol or Standard Mail Transfer Protocol or something like that, I don&#039t remember exactly what. It is a must to have if you send from aspMail. But as far as I can tell, you have it with your ISP. When you are assigning the parameters of aspMail in your asp page, set the smtp line to "smtp.famvid.com" and you should be fine.<BR><BR>Note that some smtp servers require that mail being sent through it have the same domain name. So I could not send mail through my ISP and have the from address be billgates@microsoft.com. The from address *might* have to be your isp e-mail address, something@famvid.com or whatever it is.<BR><BR>Hope I helped.<BR><BR>Nathan