Looking for a better way....

Thread: Looking for a better way....

Default Looking for a better way....

My boss what’s me to collect data in a way that will allow him to view it in a non-normalized view...<BR><BR>Yuck...<BR>name phone_type_1, sn_phone_1, phone_type_2, sn_phone_2, phone_type_3, sn_phone_3...<BR><BR>He does NOT want...<BR><BR>name, phone_type, sn_phone<BR>Bill ATT XX44YY<BR>Bill ATT QQ66TT<BR>Bill DELL 77JJ88 <BR><BR>So how can I collect the data in a normalized fashion, then display it in the format he desires? If possible I really didn&#039;t want to write code to step through the records parsing them. I’d like to use SQL but I fear it is not possible without a cursor. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Default ASPFAQs, category Databases, General

There is a link to the ASPFAQs at the top right corner of this very page.<BR><BR>Look in the category noted in the subject line of this message for your question.<BR><BR>The ASPFAQs are your friends. Visit your friends often.<BR><BR>************<BR><BR>Of course, you knew all that, didn&#039;t you?<BR><BR>Look for the FAQ I wrote on category/subcategory grouping.<BR><BR>A little minor adaptation on that should do the job.<BR><BR>Hmmm...but I guess this *is* stepping through the records. I don&#039;t think it qualifies as "parsing" though.<BR><BR>You could do nearly identical code in TSQL in a Stored Procedure, but it&#039;s still going to be the same kind of code.<BR><BR><BR><BR>