This is very strange. In my web.config file, I have the following settings specified.<BR> &#060;add key="DatabaseName" value="Permits"/&#062;<BR> &#060;add key="CnStr" value="Data Source=MyMachine;Initial Catalog=Permits;User ID=sa;pwd=;"/&#062;<BR><BR>Then in my code behind, I have this code.<BR> private string m_ConStr;<BR> private string m_DB; <BR> <BR> private void Page_Init(object s, System.EventArgs e){<BR> InitializeComponent();<BR> m_ConStr = System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSett ings["CnStr"];<BR> m_DB = System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSett ings["DatabaseName"];<BR> }<BR><BR>What&#039;s strange is if I try to use m_DB at this point, it works fine, but if I try to use m_ConStr, I get an error that it hasn&#039;t been initialized. Now, if I change the code and take out the web.config reference to set the value of m_ConStr and hard code it, it works fine. So, my question is, why will it read the value for the DatabaseName value, but not the CnStr value from the web.config file?