Thread: Suggestions

Default Suggestions

Hi all;<BR><BR>My limited experience with ASP and databases has been using DSNs and running pages on our own NT server. I am looking at taking some of the things I have learned and applying it to my own personal web site. It brings me to the following questions:<BR><BR>1) What questions do I need to ask my web host so that I can have their server set up to connect to Access databases? I know that I will be using a DSNless connection, but I assume that I am also going to need a directory with read and write rights if I want it to be modifiable online. I know from past experiences they are security conscious, but if I ask the right questions and have some information, they should be able to help me (I hope!).<BR><BR>2) Failing this, does anyone have any suggestions for web hosting that will accomodates ASP and database connectivity?<BR><BR>I am far from doing anything that is out of the ordinary. At the very least, though, I want to be able to use includes and the like to keep my pages easy to maintain.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR><BR>Chris

2. #2 Guest

Default RE: Suggestions

1) All you need to do is specify a directory where you will keep your DB, and they should give it R/W permission, and deny HTTP access to the folder ( very important if you don&#039t want your visitors to be able to download you r database. ). DSN-less is the way to go!<BR><BR>I doubt that you will be able to do DB or ASP on a regular dial-up account. You will probably need to go for a hosting plan of sufficient level to provide for these facilities.