Advice on Keyword Search..

Thread: Advice on Keyword Search..

Default Advice on Keyword Search..

Hi.<BR><BR> I want to create a keyword search. I would like an advice wheather the method iam going to use is good enough or i should try something else.???<BR><BR> There is a database field [[keyword]] filled by users saperated by comma.<BR><BR> i.e Asp,VB,Javascript,COM,Flash,...etc..<BR> <BR> searchword=request.form("search")<BR> <BR> Would it be better if i use split and<BR><BR> trycompare=strcomp(searchword,rs(0))<BR><BR> And fetch the records for display or there is some other<BR> better option. No. of Records are Huge in Numbers..<BR><BR> <BR> Thanks & Regards<BR><BR> Nitin Malhotra..

Default RE: Advice on Keyword Search..

Worst thing you can do.<BR>Storing a comma delimited list in a fied and doing a split on it.<BR>Imagine calling a split on a search and split most of your records?<BR>should be ok if your searching on friday and can wait till monday for results...<BR><BR>Personally, and maybe others will have other ideas, but I would use 2 tables.<BR>table 1 to hold a single key word<BR>table to hold and ID of key words and a link to pages...<BR>Table 1<BR>key word "Flash" with an ID of 150<BR>In table2<BR>ID 150 link<BR>ID 150 link<BR>ID 150 link<BR>ID 150 link<BR><BR>Make sure they are indexed.<BR>Something along those lines would me efficient enough i would imagine...<BR><BR>Currious to see what others might come up with.<BR><BR>