ASP to Oracle Connectivity.

Thread: ASP to Oracle Connectivity.

Default ASP to Oracle Connectivity.

Environment.<BR>Win 2000 professional<BR>MDAC 2.6<BR>Oracle client 9.2<BR>Oracle ODBC driver 9.2<BR><BR>I am connecting from asp page to Oracle server version 9.0.1 when i am getting the following error.<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)<BR>[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve <BR>service name <BR><BR>I have checked with the tnsnames.ora file and the service name is correctly reflected. <BR>The connection works perfectly fine from SQLPlus, VB and MSAccess.<BR><BR>Its failing only from ASP.<BR><BR>I have given IUSR_machinename and IWAM_machinename permissions to the oracle folders on client machine.<BR><BR>It fails even if i use the Microsoft odbc driver for oracle version 2.5<BR><BR>Any help would be really great.<BR><BR>thanks,<BR>johyson<BR>

Default RE: ASP to Oracle Connectivity.

How are you connecting to Oracle from SQL? Connection string or DSN? Either way make sure that the server/db name match exactly as per tnsnames.ora (including case). It doesn&#039;t sound like connectivity is the issue per se, more the method used to achieve it.<BR><BR>I assume the other apps which can connect to Oracle are running/can be run from the web server?<BR><BR>Franco

Default Actually "connectivity" is the issue

isn&#039;t it?! ; )<BR><BR>I have a silly question for you. You said you connected fine with SQL Plus, well you did try connecting with SQL Plus from the web server and not your local machine right?<BR><BR>If not, then test it again. This is definitely telling you that it can&#039;t resolve the TNS name you used in your connection string with a TNS name in the tnsnames.ora file.<BR><BR>If you did test this from the web server and it connects fine with SQL Plus, another thing to check is to see if someone modified the &#039;sqlnet.ora&#039; file and added a domain name. You know what, take a quick look at your tnsnames.ora file. Find your TNS entry, does the name have a .world extension on it like<BR><BR>If not, try adding it? <BR><BR>Now if it does have it, try referencing it in your connection string with the .world.<BR><BR>Let us know if it still isn&#039;t working.<BR><BR>Good luck<BR>Pete<BR><BR><BR>