maintain carriage returns from DBase to HTML (asp used)

Thread: maintain carriage returns from DBase to HTML (asp used)

Shawn P Guest

Default maintain carriage returns from DBase to HTML (asp used)

Problem: I have entered in data into a text field in a dbase with carriage returns present. I want to now read this back into html using asp with the end of line characters present (reading the field into a string terminates all EOL characters). Can this be done? If so, how?

Default RE: maintain carriage returns from DBase to HTML (asp used)

HTML doesn&#039t interpret newline characters as carriage returns. Rather, HTML only displays a carriage return if it encounters the <BR> tag. So, what you will need to do is simply replace all carriage returns with <BR>.<BR><BR>&#039This string will hold the value of the text<BR>Dim strBlah<BR>strBlah = objRS("SomeTextField")<BR>strBlah = Replace(strBlah, vbCrLf, "<BR>")<BR><BR>That should do it! You can read a technical explanation of the Replace function at:<BR>http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm?/scripting/VBScript/doc/vsfctReplace.htm<BR><BR>Happy Programming! :)

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: maintain carriage returns from DBase to HTML (asp used)

Seems as if there is a bug in the web board, the &lt;BR&gt; tag is taken literally. :-)<BR><BR>Nathan<BR><BR>P.S. I had the same problem when I answered the same question yesterday :-)