web config file

Thread: web config file

Default web config file

I am having a lot of trouble getting my head round the web.config file concept.<BR><BR>I would like to create a web.config file to hold:<BR>a) my connection string and<BR>b) forms authentification against a SQL Server.<BR> <BR>How do I do this?<BR><BR>Does a web.config default file exist on the hosting server within the ASP,Net framework and I need to edit it or should I make one myself?<BR><BR>If I make one myself how do I do it? Can I write it in notepad? Then how should I save it, in other words with what extension, and finally how do I reference it in my code on an ASP.NET page?<BR><BR>Sorry if this is basic stuff but I am completely stumped here. <BR><BR>Thank you anybody who helps me. <BR><BR>Richard

Default RE: web config file

The Web.config file is a simple text file in XML format that can specify Web site settings. This file needs to be placed in a Web site&#039;s root directory, and can also be placed in virtual directories.<BR><BR>To see how to store information like connection strings in a Web.config file, check out this article:<BR><BR>Specifying Configuration Settings in Web.config<BR>http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/053102-1.aspx