carriage returns from dbase change-over into html (using asp)

Thread: carriage returns from dbase change-over into html (using asp)

Shawn P Guest

Default carriage returns from dbase change-over into html (using asp)

Problem: I have entered in data into a text field in a dbase with carriage returns present. I want to now read this back into html using asp with the end of line characters present (reading the field into a string terminates all EOL characters). Can this be done? If so, how?

Shawn Clabough Guest

Default RE: carriage returns from dbase change-over into html (using asp)

You can either use the Replace function to replace vbCrLf with <BR>, or you can use &#060;pre&#062; &#060;/pre&#062; tags before and after the field.

dclark Guest

Default RE: carriage returns from dbase change-over into html (using asp)

I&#039ve used the replace function when I insert or update to the database. Try replacing chr(10) (carriage return) with a br tag and an invisible, 1px image to add a "tab" mark for the next paragraph. (I can&#039t get the br tag to display properly here so bear with me as I do the code!) Here&#039s the code I use:<BR>var = replace(var, chr(10), "(br tag)&#060;img src="tabmark.gif" width="10"&#062;")<BR><BR>Now the only problem is if you have a back end to edit your copy...in the edit asp page, you need to strip out these tags and then add them back in because I&#039ve found the carriage return still exists.<BR><BR>Maybe there&#039s a better way to do this, but that&#039s the best way I&#039ve found so far.