Is DotNet crashing?

Thread: Is DotNet crashing?

Default Is DotNet crashing?

is dotNet heading for a crash?<BR>Just read the liquidation of Wrox press. One thing for sure was Wrox was heavily relying on dotNet technology since the last two years, coming up with preview books, then professional, beginning, advanced et all covering the entire dotnet right from its inception stage. but did dotNet mature enough? if it had Wrox would not be a name of the past as its sure to become now.<BR><BR>I&#039;ve been a pure VBScript/ASP programmer for the last 5 years and honestly it has been my only source of bread and butter.<BR>With dotNet I geniunely wanted to move to C#-asp programming, but the learning curve has been huge and unfortunately for me I have not been able to make much headway thru books and class fees are skyhigh - I recently approached a class for MCAD training and the feeling I got from them was not many have enrolled for certification in MCAD (unlike MCP) since they started the dotNet course 6 months ago. <BR>So is everyone still having a wait and watch policy before diving into dotNet or do some have geniune learning curve problems in dotNet like I do.?????<BR><BR>Am I the only one who feels the same.<BR><BR>Is dotNet "THE" way or is Microsoft gonna retract and move back.<BR>????<BR><BR>Clearing these cowebs by the gurus here would be of great help.

Indianapolis, IN

Default RE: Is DotNet crashing?

I don&#039;t think .NET is crashing. We develop all new web apps in .NET, but we still support our older ASP web apps. I think there are benefits to ASP.NET, such as the datagrids that basically take care of themselves without all the code. Plus, I like that my code is much more segregated in that I don&#039;t have a lot of HTML, script, HTML, script all over the place. With .NET, the two don&#039;t overlap constantly. And I don&#039;t even use code-behind, which would segregate it even more. Peronally, I don&#039;t believe that ASP.NET has enough change to warrant everyone switching over to it. I don&#039;t think there&#039;s anything I&#039;ve done with ASP.NET that I couldn&#039;t do with ASP, but that could just be due to the nature of our web apps.<BR>As for the MCAD or even MCSD.NET, I don&#039;t see much interest from anyone in that right now. I&#039;m certified as an MCSD, and I keep getting more and more invitations from Microsoft to take their 70-300 exam for free. Not their beta, either (they always offer the beta exams for free to anyone certified), but the full version. I passed the SQL 2000 exam towards the .NET stuff, and I took a beta of the VB.NET exam (70-306?) - which I failed. I won&#039;t go the C# route because we use VB.NET in house. That might be an easier route for you as well.

Default Your analysis is faulty

The primary reason .NET has not taken off is the economy. IT Managers just can&#039;t justify the cost of training and new implementations without a clear cut financial return.<BR><BR>ASP.NET is heads and tails above classic ASP in regards to performance and object oriented design. It is just tough to convince the bean counters how better OO design helps their bottom line...<BR><BR>Everyone is just trying to get by for now until things pick back up again. Those developers who fine tuned their skills in .NET are sure to benefit big time.