Web folder password protection

Thread: Web folder password protection

Default Web folder password protection

Hi guys, <BR><BR>I&#039;ve searched for this on google and seem to be getting no where. <BR><BR>I&#039;ve just purchased and install successfully a forum in a folder on my website. The forum already has its own login system which is great however I want a pre-login system. <BR><BR>I notice alot of sites password protect folders on their site so when you try to access something like www.google.com/securearea/ your browser will prompt you with a pop-up username / password authentication.<BR><BR>My question is how is this done? Through Windows on folders permissions? Or through IIS properties on the particular folder? Basically I want to stop users from even getting to the front page of this forum unless they are first validated... <BR><BR>Any suggestions, examples, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>James<BR><BR>

Default RE: Web folder password protection

What you are talking about is windows Authentication...<BR><BR>You need to create the users as local/domain user accounts on your server, or AD, then set the permissions on that folder to only allow the group that all these users belong to.<BR><BR>HTH.<BR>D.

Default RE: Web folder password protection

Its achieved using a combination of the two, you have to set the directory security tab options on the IIS box, and then make sure each user has the right permissions on the folder..read/write/edit presumably.. take off the annoymouse internet account from that folder.<BR><BR>

Default Sweet........

Duh it was under folder security in IIS, right so you basically I should create a new windows users with restricted access. Currently I just enter my standard windows login and that works.<BR><BR>But I guess I should great one for web users only. <BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>James