Best way of handling multiple user access of data

Thread: Best way of handling multiple user access of data

Larry Villella Guest

Default Best way of handling multiple user access of data

I&#039m looking at building a helpdesk application for tracking call tickets. What would be the best way of handling the fact that in ASP, I&#039d want only one person to be able to modify a call ticket at a time?<BR><BR>That is, when someone opens a call ticket for modification, I&#039d want to let other people who try to do the same know that someone else has done this. However, I also have to worry about expiration, in case this person decides to leave it open.<BR><BR>Any ideas appreciated.

Scott S Guest

Default RE: Best way of handling multiple user access of d

What you are talking about is called Locks, i believe that most database systems will do this by default (i&#039m not sure about that though so consult your DBA) with locks, a user goes to edit a record, the record is locked. at that time no one can read or edit it. when he is done updating the record its unlocked and ready to go. This is a database thing & should be done/configured on the database end. I would also suggest using transactions to update the records, they can be done in ASP (i believe) , VB Components using MTS, & the Database Stored Procedures. I prefer to have them in the database but thats personal preference i just would rather have the database protect itself than rely on something else. I would definitely use stored procedures for what you are describing (if you are not using Access that is). Hope i was of some help<BR>

Larry Villella Guest

Default RE: Best way of handling multiple user access of d

Well, I&#039m aware of record locking, but I&#039m not exactly talking about updating a record. A call ticket would be an abstract object that would sort of be like a record. I want some way of letting the user know that someone else has already opened the ticket for editing. <BR><BR>I had been thinking of having flags in the records themselves, that would sort of implement my own locking. So I would flag a call ticket as opened, with a timestamp. Whenever the user who opened the ticket updates the record, the timestamp resets. <BR><BR>When the next person tries to open the record, if it&#039s been say, 10 minutes since the other person has done anything with it, it will let them in.<BR><BR>The fundamental problem I face here is the fact that the web page does not constantly communicate with the server to let me know that they&#039re still active in the call ticket.