SQL statement order by

Thread: SQL statement order by

Default SQL statement order by

I can order by number 1,2,3,4, but<BR>I want the reverse 4,3,2,1<BR>What is the SQL statement for this<BR>i have auto indentity as the field<BR>thanks

Default RE: SQL statement order by

There are two postfixes for the ORDER BY clause, ASC (for ascending) and DESC (for descending). So, do:<BR><BR>SELECT Whatever FROM TableName ORDER BY Field1 DESC<BR><BR>That should do the trick! :)

ORDER BY fieldName DESC

Jason Buck Guest

You would say this in your SQL statement.<BR><BR>SELECT [auto identity], [another field], [another field1] FROM TABLENAME ORDER BY [auto identity] DESC;<BR><BR>SQL automatically sorts in ascending order. The ORDER BY fieldname DESC; Changes the sort order to DESCending order.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>Jason

Néstor Sulú Guest

You must use DESC<BR><BR>i.e.<BR><BR>"SELECT * FROM MyTable ORDER BY MyFld1 DESC, MyFld2, MyFld3..."<BR><BR>Here, the results will be ordered by MyFld1 in descendent way (4,3,2,1) and MyFld2, MyFld3 in ascendent way (the default, or you can explicit it using ASC).<BR><BR>Both DESC and ASC are SQL ANSI, so they must work in any DBMS.