request.querystring(please help!!)

Thread: request.querystring(please help!!)

Default request.querystring(please help!!)

Hi<BR>I am trying to pass a variable a = "books & music" through a URL and i see that it is going thru alright. But, when i call it in the page required as b = request.querystring("a") i can see only books and not the remaining field. Please help ASAP as the application is ready to be launched..<BR>Shaila

Default RE: request.querystring(please help!!)

query string variables (ie: a) are deliniated by the ampersand (&) the best thing to do is to use URLEncode prior to passing the query string.

URLencode is a method of the server object (check out help if you need more info). There exista a URLDecode reoutine that can be located on the somewhere on the wrox book site (www.wrox.com). Good luck

i tried doing it, that is i called it on the next page using x = server.urlencode(request.querystring("a"))<BR>wher e a = "books & music". i think i&#039ve it wrong so could u please guide me thru. tried searching wrox site in vain!! PLease help!!!<BR>

Default i got it! thanx a lot!!

Hi Pablo,<BR> Thanx a lot for your help!! i got it working!!!<BR>Thanx a million!!

you need to urlencode it on the page you are using the anchor.<BR>Try and separate the var ("this & that") into a var<BR>Dim QStrVar<BR>QStrVar = ("A=this & that")<BR>THEN<BR>response.write("&#060;A HREF=http://PAGE.ASP?" & QStrVar & "&#062;click here&#060;/A&#062;"<BR>

Lodewijk Guest

Hi Shaila,<BR><BR>the venom lies in the querystring method which causes you problems. This is designed to work with the GET method and not the POST method which doesn&#039t have problems with &#039&&#039 signs and others. <BR>The querystring method just chops of after encountering end OR some invalid character (such as &).<BR><BR>I guess your fastest solution is to try to use the Request.Form method which should give you the entire querystring or the value of the object if you specify one. Perhaps you have to change to a POST method where you had a GET, it is up to you to choose this.<BR><BR>Hint: try to use the POST method as much as possible as it keeps your URL clean ( not rubbish seen at the URL location in the browser) and permits you to send wierd characters without problems.<BR><BR>Hopefully this helps you out,<BR><BR>smile<BR>Lodewijk